Lately, I have been waking up feeling like an old lady. My back hurt so much I felt like I had slept on a log or wood plank or something. So the time had finally come to start considering looking at mattresses.
Shopping for a mattress is not an easy task. Laying on a mattress for 2 minutes in the store is not the same as sleeping on a mattress for about 8 hours a night for 8 to 10 years, approximately 1,401,600 minutes to 1,752,000. Obviously, 2 minutes does not compare. I started looking at the weekly ads and online for what I think I would want and need. And I got the Consumer Reports issue that discussed mattress and talked to some people about it. Let me tell you, that just created more ideas and confusion.
Finally, I started looking at memory foam, latex, and air camber beds. I figured it would be nice to get a bed that would last longer that then 7 to 10 years, that traditional mattresses are reported to last. I ruled out latex pretty quickly because from what I read on the internet, they are just starting to become popular in the US and can be harder to find. That left memory foam and air camber mattresses. I was really interested in trying memory foam, because I have a memory foam pillow and love it. But I was worried that the bed would be very different from the pillow. After trying it, it is much like a traditional mattress, different firmness and comfort levels. After finding the right comfort and firmness it was just like my pillow and felt great. I also tried the Sleep Number bed. I saw some great reviews of the product saying it was the best bed they have ever had, and some saying it felt like they were sleeping on a blow up air mattress. After trying it, I really liked it. I liked that is can be adjusted with the way you are feeling that day as well as over time. I also liked the fact that you can add more padding to go on top of the air chambers to make it feel like a more traditional bed.
Now came the decision. Both beds had a try at home guarantee. If you don't like the bed they will take it back. Both beds have a 20 year limited warranty. However, the prices varied dramatically, the memory foam bed I liked was about $3600 before taxes and delivery and haul away, and the sleep number bed was $1600 before taxes.
I will not keep you in suspense any longer. I decided to go with the Sleep Number bed.
The price was a big decision maker for me, and I love the fact that I can adjust the bed to my comfort level. I also figured if I was to add in the memory foam feeling, I can buy a decent topper and put that on the bed.
And I am happy to report that I no longer feel like I am an old lady when I wake up. No more back pain!! And for the record my sleep number is currently 40.